Mithun Chakraborty — The Story Behind an Iconic Photograph
Mithun Chakraborty was the first Bollywood star I ever photographed for Filmfare.
Interestingly, it was Mithun Da himself who opened that door for me.
He had seen some of my wildlife photographs and asked if I would like to photograph him. At that stage, I had never seriously thought of becoming a fashion or celebrity photographer. My world of photography was still very different.
When I reached Filmfare, I was shown a photograph of Brad Pitt and asked to create something similar with Mithun Da.
I said no.
For me, if I was getting an opportunity to photograph a star of Mithun Chakraborty's stature, copying somebody else's photograph simply didn't make sense. More than that, it somehow felt disrespectful to the man I was being asked to photograph. Mithun Da deserved an image of his own.
I was quite clear about it — and I walked out.
Filmfare eventually called Mithun Da.
I explained to him why I had refused the shoot. Mithun Da heard me out and then convinced me to go ahead. So I agreed — but with the freedom to create our own photograph.
I visualised him dressed completely in black, wearing an overcoat, against a rugged landscape of rocks. We headed to Madh Island for the shoot.
While the team was getting things ready, I saw Mithun Da walking towards me.
There was something unmistakable about that walk — the confidence, the attitude, almost a tiger's walk.
I started shooting.
By the time Mithun Da reached me, he looked around and asked, “So what do we shoot?”
I said, “The shot is already done!”
And that was it.
The photograph I had gone there to create had happened before the planned shoot had even begun.
That first assignment also became the beginning of a long professional association with Mithun Da. Over the years, I photographed him multiple times across the country — for editorials, advertising campaigns and publicity, including Dance Bangla Dance, the hugely popular television show he judged.
From that first Filmfare shoot onwards, Mithun Da remained someone I would return to photograph at different stages of my own journey. Those were also the years in which photography was taking me increasingly into fashion, advertising and celebrity work, and eventually towards producing and shooting for Fashion TV.
But that first photograph remained special.
What made it even more memorable for me was discovering how much Mithun Da himself liked the image. It was used for responses to his fan mail, and I later learnt that a large print of the photograph remained displayed in his living room.
For a photographer, there can hardly be a better compliment.
And perhaps that is also why, after all these years, I still remember exactly how that frame happened.
Some pics just happen. They can't be planned.

Comments
your blog post.
ipl most successful team