UltraTech IPL Chunauti — Shooting with the Rajasthan Royals

UltraTech Rajasthan Royals IPL campaign photographed by Pravin Talan with Rahul Dravid, Shane Watson, Ajinkya Rahane, Sanju Samson, James Faulkner and Stuart Binny

UltraTech Cement IPL 2014 campaign with Rajasthan Royals. Photography: Pravin Talan.
  
There was a time when cricket was an important part of my life. I played through my college years, when Kapil Dev, to me, was the greatest man alive. Later, I became a passionate follower of the game during the Sachin Tendulkar era. Perhaps a little too passionate — an Indian defeat could genuinely upset me, and somewhere along the way I practically stopped watching cricket.

Then came the IPL.  


UltraTech Cement Rajasthan Royals IPL 2014 campaign photographed by Pravin Talan
UltraTech Rajasthan Royals IPL 2014 Campaign — Pravin Talan

Ironically, within a fairly short period I found myself photographing several cricketers — some familiar names and others from a new generation I had barely followed. At times it was slightly embarrassing to discover that the young player in front of me was already a well-known cricketer whom I had no clue about.

But photographers need not know their subjects to get the best out of them. They simply need to understand the scope of work and the final deliverables.

This UltraTech Cement campaign with Rajasthan Royals was one of those shoots. The five players were Shane Watson, Ajinkya Rahane, Sanju Samson, James Faulkner and Stuart Binny, along with Rajasthan Royals mentor Rahul Dravid. Rahul Dravid was someone I had always particularly liked, and in front of the camera he was just as I had always seen him — cool, calm, composed and in command.

Shot at Four Points by Sheraton, Vashi, the brief was simple and the creatives interesting. I played with low angles and perspective to give the players a larger-than-life presence.

IPL endorsement shoots move fast. Players have several commitments packed into a small window, and sometimes two or three shoots are happening around the same hotel. There is little time for leisurely interaction — you prepare, know exactly what you want, and shoot when they arrive.

Fast, professional and fun.

Client: UltraTech Cement
Creative Agency: Lowe
Photography: Pravin Talan

Comments

Continue Exploring